How beautifully providential that October 13, 2017, is the one hundredth anniversary of the Miracle of the Sun at Fatima and the 675th anniversary of the consecration of the church at the Kartause Gaming. For LCI, which is celebrating its 25th anniversary this year, it is particularly meaningful as the Kartause is a place where the prayers to Our Lady of Fatima for the conversion of Russia are being answered.
Since 1993, LCI has trained 31 young people from Russia, and another 432 from 29 other countries of the former East Bloc and beyond.
In Russia, LCI alumni are now working for the Church in various capacities and in several different cities. Here are a few of the ways:
- Natasha organizes Bible studies and formation talks at the cathedral in Moscow
- Julia works at the cathedral in Irkutsk, and is responsible for the website among other things. Inspired by her experience at the Kartause, she has begun Adoration there, which now takes place every first Saturday.
- Katya is evangelizing youth and serving the poor in Magadan in Far East Russia
- Elvira has started a musical ensemble as an evangelization outreach in Vladivostok, also in Far East Russia
- Dimitri teaches English and helps with the pastoral care of families
All of them are grateful for their experience at the Kartause, where they deepened their faith and gained skills and enthusiasm for sharing it back home.
How beautiful that the Lord and Our Lady chose October 13 as a special date for both the Miracle of the Sun at Fatima, and 575 years earlier, the consecration of the church at the Kartause, a place of conversion today.
Indeed, it is no coincidence, and a good occasion to remember to continue praying as Our Lady asked.